For several nights now, I’ve been craving for sweet-and-sour cupcakes because of Angelo‘s (Daniel Padilla) famous dayap* cupcakes in Pangako Sa’Yo. Everyone in the story was raving about it! Since we’ll probably never have access to the actual recipe, I searched for a recipe I personally tried back in 2013. The cupcakes’ taste resemble Yna (Kathryn Bernardo) and Angelo’s love that was sweet yet currently sour. 😛 Featured screenshots courtesy of ABS-CBN and Mico Del Rosario.
*Dayap is our native lime.
NOTE: In case you don’t have dayap in your kitchen, feel free to substitute it with calamansi or imported lemon.
Here’s the recipe:
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour (sifted)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup unsalted butter
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 whole eggs
- 1/2 cup evaporated milk
- 1/4 cup pure dayap juice (may substitute with lemon or calamansi) NOTE: For stronger dayap taste, make it 1/3 cup! 🙂
- Preheat oven to 350° Fahrenheit.
- Grease a 12-cup muffin pan or use paper liners.
- In a bowl, mix dry ingredients: flour, baking powder, and salt.
- In a separate bowl, mix butter and sugar on low speed until creamy.
- Add in the eggs and dayap juice.
- Combine wet and dry ingredients. Mix well.
- Pour batter into muffin pan up to 2/3 or 3/4 full to give room for the batter to rise.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes (depends on your oven).