We used to see her daily on It’s Showtime as part of the all-female dance group GirlTrends but Maika Rivera is now focused on getting into our nerves as the villain in upcoming Kapamilya series, Sandugo. Sandugo is topbilled by Elisse Joson with leading men Ejay Falcon and Aljur Abrenica. During our interview a few weeks ago, Maika confirmed her resignation from the group and her plan to focus on acting.
After her successful stint as a villain in Erich Gonzales’ The Blood Sisters, Maika said her work in Sandugo is different and more challenging because her rich character Ines entails her to be sexy. “It’s challenging for me kasi hindi po ako liberated like Ines. But it’s very exciting for me, ” she said. Maika added that she’s comfortable with her co-actor and love interest Aljur Abrenica in the series because they are both Kapampangan. She fondly calls him “Kuya” Aljur! 🙂
When asked about the rise to popularity of contravida roles like Dimples Romana as “Daniela” in Kadenang Ginto, Maika said, “Sana po ma-portray ko si Ines that well to have an impact like that.” She takes inspiration from her childhood bullies when playing the villain and uses acting as a form of personal therapy to release her emotions. Her list of admired actresses into lead star-contravida roles include Julia Montes and Angelica Panganiban.
Other interesting tidbits in the interview:
- Maika once tried out for Pinoy Big Brother.
- She was also one of the first to line up for the Darna role during the auditions. She wanted the role so much but is happy for fellow ex-GirlTrend and Star Magic artist Jane De Leon. (Maika is opening to doing Valentina!)
- Previously known by her real name Maika Tanpoco, she used to be the number one tennis player in the country.
- She has her own makeup brand named MADE with a unique kilay product.
- She grew up abroad (Australia and Europe) with foster parents to train for tennis. Maika lived in Australia for 6 years.
- Maika transitioned from being a bullied kid to an empowered woman. A recent incident allowed her to step up and stand for herself. What gave her the confidence?
- She is very open about her relationship with boyfriend PBA player Bobby Ray Parks, Jr..
Watch out for Maika in Dreamscape Entertainment and ABS-CBN’s upcoming teleserye Sandugo.
For more updates, follow her on Instagram http://instagram.com/riveramaika.