Therese Malvar, known to many as Teri, rose to fame as the breakthrough artist who won the Best Actress award at the 15th New York Asian Film Festival and the 38th Moscow International Film Festival for her role in the indie film Hamog. She is the first Southeast Asian actress to have won an award in the Moscow International Film Festival (awarded alongside actor John Lloyd Cruz). The 16-year old star of 2017 films Ilawod, Sakaling Hindi Makarating, and new Kapuso drama series Legally Blind is under the management of GMA Artist Center.
In an intimate painting session-slash-bloggers’-conference at Sip & Gogh (Eastwood) last month, Therese allowed us to get to know her better by gamely answering questions and sharing bits of personal information. Some of the things I noticed — she was naturally cheerful, high-spirited, and articulate.
Here are random stuff we discovered about Therese:
- Therese loves regular school (she’s an honor student!) and considers it her playground. She said she loves being around people and appreciates the competitive environment in an academic setting. She’s currently in Grade 9 at the Sun Valley National High School.
- While many teens her age must be deeply into gadgets these days, it’s cool that Therese still utilizes planners and journals to keep track of her busy schedule and “organize her life.” She even raves about their existence.
- Therese became the youngest nominee of the Gawad Urian Awards for Best Actress when she was 13.
- When Therese was cast for the lead role in Ang Huling Cha Cha ni Anita, she had no prior acting experience. For the said role, Therese bested seasoned actresses Nora Aunor and Eula Valdes when she won Best Actress in the first CineFilipino Festival Awards. She shared the story on how she got into the craft.
- Therese loves reading. Her favorite books include the Harry Potter series and Tuesdays with Morrie.
- Truly an artist, Therese is also into painting and calligraphy. She shared that she hasn’t undergone workshops and turns to Youtube for tutorials. Look, she’s got the gift.
- Therese’s favorite actors:
- Therese named her showbiz crushes:
- Therese starred in 2017 films Ilawod and Sakaling Hindi Makarating and is currently a part of the cast of GMA’s afternoon series Legally Blind.
Other interview hightlights:
Catch Therese in the newest series Legally Blind on GMA’s Afternoon Prime.
For more updates, follow Therese and GMA Artist Center on Instagram: @theresemalvar and @artistcenter
Blogcon venue: Sip & Gogh (Eastwood)
Special thanks to Flawless for the gift.